Saturday, July 26, 2014

Life is Tough, Isn't it

I'm not writing this out of "sour grapes" because personally I have never been one to try to keep up with the Joneses because I never cared about what they had or didn't have. But there are some things that get to me on occasion.


When I first discovered Freecycle, I thought what a great way of helping preserve our environment especially in our "disposable" society. As many of you have, I've signed up in my local group and get the typical notices of people offering items as well as asking for them. I'm not really looking for anything but find the posts interesting.


But they do "bug" me at times also.


Take for example:


(1) the single mom (or so she says) who's car just broke down and proceeds to ask for a car. The message was sent through her IPhone.  Sure, someone is really going to just give her a car...yeah, right. And if you're a single mom, then why on earth do you have an iPhone? Between the phone and the cost of the service, there's a monthly car payment.


(2) the mother who writes "my hard-working daughter is moving to her own apartment and needs everything." I'm sure this mother has helped where she could but did she also ask other family and friends?  And if the daughter is so hard-working, she's never heard of Big Lots or KMart? Things there are NOT that expensive. Dollar Tree also works for me.


(3) the mother who wrote this morning asking for a Fridge and a stove (she probably lives in Scarsdale, has most expensive cable/internet/phone package and leases a car too), she writes:
 "Hello everyone. I guess Lowes went out if (sic) business for a reason . My kitchen fridge stopped cooling just freezer works :-O and my stove only one burner working?? Both within two weeks please help if anyone getting rid of any gas stoves? Tight budget with my son going into private high school . thank you in advance

Sent from my iPhone


(4) the person who boasts about decorating her whole home from Craigslist and Freecycle and goes on to say she's looking for a bedroom set with specific wood color and exact measurements . . . sheesh!


Hello!


What are these people thinking? If you can't afford something, then maybe the reason is yourself and the choices you have made? And if you don't have the money, then you don't spend it on private schools or iPhones.


Shame on you; I have no sympathy.





No comments:

Post a Comment